banner ad

Yuguda: Bauchi Airport, Power Plant to Gulp N44bn

| October 14, 2013 More

Governor Isa Yuguda

By Onyebuchi Ezigbo 


Bauchi State governor , Mallam Isah Yuguda, has said that the two major projects currently being undertaken by the state government, an international airport and 140 mega watt capacity gas turbine plant would cost an estimated sum of N44 billion on completion.


The governor who spoke to THISDAY shortly after a meeting with a delegation of the Chinese working on   the power plant project said the state government is in the process of awarding a contract to the company to build a power plant at the cost of  $201million (about N31.7 billion).
He said on completion, the power plant will be expected to  produce 140 mega watts, of which 40 percent will be utilised by the people of the state while the remaining will be channeled to the national grid.


“The project is about 201million dollars and we are very positive that with the power it will generate, 140 mega watts will no doubt end the power supply problem facing the  state. It is a very important project not only for Bauchi state but the nation at large, “ he said.


  Yuguda said given the power demand as it is today, Bauchi has the capacity to consume about 40 percent and that the remaining  60 percent could  be sold  to  the national grid for the time being.
Speaking on the economic justification for the project, the governor said from the feasibility studies done on the project, there is every reason to believe that it is a profitable venture.


  He explained that under the terms of agreement for the  execution of the power plant project, the China Exim bank has gladly accepted to  participate in the funding of the  construction and delivery of the project.


 According to Yaguda, the Chinese firm had after carrying out preliminary assessment of the proposed power plant, agreed to scale down the timetable for the delivery of project  from 18 months to nine months.


 He assured that the project has received the blessings of the Federal Government and the National Assembly both of which have accepted to grant it  a sovereign guaranty.
“I am happy to note that the project is a profitable project  and the pay back period is about 5 years.  We have gone very far with the assessment and the contractors have sent  teams to Nigeria. Sinex  are contractors to the project and all parties to the project are anxious to see to the successful take-off and completion of the project.


  “The project is not only bankable it is also help in creating jobs as a result of revamping the small and medium scale industries in the state. You may also be surprised that a lot more investors and entrepreneurs would flow into the state to establish heavy industries.


“This project is a breakthrough for the entire power supply Programme of all the states of the federation because it is a project that can deliver power within the shortest  possible time and we have all the raw materials to run the plant. Everything about the project is already in place, we are almost wrapping up the project. and when it comes to  light, Bauchi will no more be in darkness forever, “ he  said.


The governor who was a former Minister of Aviation, also said   the state has almost completed the construction of new airport which will be commissioned  soon by the President.
He explained that although the airport was approved since 1982, it suffered a lot of setback leaving the state with the old one which has been there since 1964.

th the power it will generate, 140 mega watts will no doubt end the power supply problem facing the  state. It is a very important project not only for Bauchi state but the nation at large, “ he said.

  Yuguda said given the power demand as it is today, Bauchi has the capacity to consume about 40 percent and that the remaining  60 percent could  be sold  to  the national grid for the time being.
Speaking on the economic justification for the project, the governor said from the feasibility studies done on the project, there is every reason to believe that it is a profitable venture.

  He explained that under the terms of agreement for the  execution of the power plant project, the China Exim bank has gladly accepted to  participate in the funding of the  construction and delivery of the project.

According to Yaguda, the Chinese firm had after carrying out preliminary assessment of the proposed power plant, agreed to scale down the timetable for the delivery of project  from 18 months to nine months.

He assured that the project has received the blessings of the Federal Government and the National Assembly both of which have accepted to grant it  a sovereign guaranty.
“I am happy to note that the project is a profitable project  and the pay back period is about 5 years.  We have gone very far with the assessment and the contractors have sent  teams to Nigeria. Sinex  are contractors to the project and all parties to the project are anxious to see to the successful take-off and completion of the project.

  “The project is not only bankable it is also help in creating jobs as a result of revamping the small and medium scale industries in the state. You may also be surprised that a lot more investors and entrepreneurs would flow into the state to establish heavy industries.

“This project is a breakthrough for the entire power supply Programme of all the states of the federation because it is a project that can deliver power within the shortest  possible time and we have all the raw materials to run the plant. Everything about the project is already in place, we are almost wrapping up the project. and when it comes to  light, Bauchi will no more be in darkness forever, “ he  said.

The governor who was a former Minister of Aviation, also said   the state has almost completed the construction of new airport which will be commissioned  soon by the President.
He explained that although the airport was approved since 1982, it suffered a lot of setback leaving the state with the old one which has been there since 1964.

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.