banner ad

No NYSC Orientation Camps in Borno, Yobe’

| July 9, 2012 More

Brigadier-General Nnamdi Okorie-Affia

By Segun Awofadeji in  Bauchi

Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Nnamdi Okorie-Affia, at the weekend, said Borno and Yobe States would continue to receive corps members but would not host orientation camps for the corps members until such a time when the security situation in the two states has improved.


Okorie-Affia, who disclosed this while fielding questions from journalists during a visit to the Wailo NYSC orientation camp in Bauchi State, said Benue and Nassarawa States instead would host orientation camps of the corps members posted to Borno and Yobe States respectively.


He explained that corps members who were desirous to serve in Borno and Yobe States would be posted there after their orientation exercises in Benue and Nasarawa States.


Okorie-Affia further added that corps members deployed to Borno and Yobe States but who were not willing to serve in each of the two states would be redeployed right from the Benue and Nassarawa orientation camps.


The director-general, who clarified that corps members would only participate as ad hoc staff to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), maintained that the participation would only be done without being involved actively in any political activity by the electoral commission.


“Corps members will participate as ad hoc staff of INEC, they will not participate in political activities, they will only participate as ad hoc staff of INEC such as electoral officers, and whatever task INEC will give them,” Okorie-Affia said.


Meanwhile, Okorie-Affia also said restriction on posting of corps members to Bauchi metropolis for primary assignment as against other local government areas would be maintained for sometimes until such a time when security situation improve generally in the state.


Okorie-Affia said the restriction of corps members posting to Bauchi metropolis only for primary assignment to the state was hinged on the last crisis in 2011, where there was an outcry for the scrapping of the scheme in the country.


During the period in question,  10 corps members were killed in post-election violence in the 2011 general elections in Bauchi State, an act the up-roared Nigerians outcry for the entire scrapping of the scheme. He explained that the corps members’ restriction to Bauchi metropolis for primary assignment is to have them within the reach of the NYSC state coordinator and security agencies in case of security breach eventuality, as well as to not expose them to unnecessary security threats.


Okorie-Affia further added that it was only corps members, who for fear of insecurity that were yet to report to their states of deployment, stressing further that those in possession of original call-up letters were the ones that were asked to report back to the NYSC headquarters for re-deployment. The NYSC director-general was debunking insinuations by some political leaders that corps members deployed to trouble-prone areas in the country such as the in the North-east, North-central and North-west were to report back to the scheme headquarters for re-deployment.


The NYSC director stated that those that had already reported to their deployed states and had commenced orientation in the various camps were not asked to report back to Abuja for re-deployment to other states.  Okorie-Affia has earlier charged the 1251 ‘Batch B’ corps members comprising of 786 males and 465 females at the Wailo orientation camp in Bauchi to be conscious of the environment, avoid free drinks and ‘suya’, as well as not to entertain parties in their honour.


He assured the corps members that the scheme attached utmost priority to their security and well-being, as he also urged them to respect the cultural norms of their host communities.

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.