banner ad

Nigerian Varsities Are 13877 PhD Holders Short – Report

| January 25, 2013 More

The manpower crisis in education sector has assumed a frightening dimension as most of the 61 recognized Nigerian universities are deficient of 13, 877 PhD holders that are expected to impart knowledge to 1, 252,913 students.

Instead of having the requisite academics of 80 per cent PhD holders (30,003) out of the available 37,504 lecturers in both federal and state universities, only about 43 per cent (16, 126) are PhDs holders. The development indicates that there is a shortfall of 13, 877 PhD holders in public universities nationwide.

This mind-boggling statistic was disclosed in the main report of the Committee on Needs Assessment of Nigerian Universities which was submitted to the federal government on August 15, 2013. A copy of the report was exclusively made available to LEADERSHIP yesterday.

According to the committee’s report, “Generally, teaching staff distribution, both by qualification and by rank, indicates that Nigeria’s university system is a manpower crisis. Instead of having no less than 80 per cent of the academics with PhDs, only about 43 per cent are PhD holders, while the remaining 57 per cent are not. And instead of having about 75 per cent of the academics as the senior lecturers and professors, only about 44 per cent are within the bracket while the remaining 56 per cent are not.”

The report further showed up the dearth of quality lecturers, with the attendant poor quality of some of the graduates and the declining status of Nigerian universities globally.

It further claimed that most of the state universities did not have the adequate mix of lecturers because most of the lecturers were engaged as visiting (part time) or adjunct lecturers, and work on contract basis.

The committee also expressed apprehension over the rot in the universities. According to it, “The staff mix in some universities is alarming. There are a few universities whose total number of full time professors is not more than five and total number of PhD holders in the whole university is not up to 30.”

It went ahead to list some of the affected institutions: Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil (only one professor and 25 PhDs ); Taraba State University, Jalingo (only two professors and 20 PhDs); Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero (only two professors and five PhDs; Bauchi State University (two professors and 14 PhDs) and Ondo State University of Science and Technology (total teaching staff strength of 29).

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.