banner ad

Many Killed in Bauchi Church Blast

| June 4, 2012 More

Bauchi โ€” Many people have been killed and several others were injured when a suicide bomber detonated a bomb at the Harvest Field Church of Christ in Yelwa area of Bauchi metropolis yesterday.

There were different casualty figures given by the police, state emergency management agency and the Nigerian Red Cross Society.

Chairman Bauchi Relief Distribution Committee of SEMA Alhaji Mohammed Inuwa Bello told Daily Trust that “15 people were killed while 42 others were injured”. He said they had just finished evacuating all the victims to the hospital and advised the state government to take the responsibility of treating all those injured.

State secretary of the Nigerian Red Cross Society Alhaji Adamu Abubakar said they were concerned with the injured persons. He said 41 people were injured. Of the number are nine female six children.

In his account of the incident during a joint press conference by the police, army SSS and Bauchi State government officials, the state commissioner of police, Mohammed Ladan, said “nine people were killed, including the suicide bomber while 27 people including one police man and a soldier were injured and currently receiving treatment at Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Hospital Bauchi.

Ladan also said one improvised explosive device which was to be detonated was intercepted under a bridge near Dass motor park along Yelwa road, adding that it was demobilized by the police anti bomb squad otherwise the casualties would be higher.

“On June 2, 2012, sustained joint internal security operation in Bauchi State revealed that there will be multiple attacks on churches within Bauchi metropolis. Based on this, there was visible deployment of security personnel around the likely targets. On Sunday, a bomber in a motor vehicle, Honda Civic, attempted to force his way into the iron barricade at the entrance of Living Faith Church in Yelwa but was denied entry; in the process the suicide bomber succeeded in detonating his explosives. The suicide bomber died on the spot while nine people so far have been confirmed dead and twenty seven are presently receiving treatment at ATBUTH”, he said.

The police commissioner called on the residents of Bauchi to remain calm and go about their normal activities, saying the police and other sister agencies were on patrol within the metropolises and other places within the state.

He further called on parents and guardians as well as religious leaders, community leaders and members of the public to eschew violence and avoid attacking innocent people. He also asked members of the public to be vigilant and give useful information to security agencies to enable them to bring those involved in the incident to justice.

Ladan said the police and other security agencies are on patrol within the metropolis and other places within the state.

In his reaction, on behalf of the Bauchi State government, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Isa Yuguda Mr. Ishola Michael Adeyemi, condemned the attack, describing it as “callous act and act if cowardice”.

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.