banner ad

Gunmen on the rampage •Kill one-year-old, 3 others in Plateau, Bauchi •FG …

| November 9, 2012 More

| Print | E-mail


Written by Isaac Shobayo, Saliu Gbadamosi, Jacob Segun Olatunji and Kolawole Daniel


Wednesday, 07 November 2012

TRAGEDY struck in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State on Tuesday when a terrorist gang stormed Chaha village and opened fire on a family of eight in their sleep, killing four of them on the spot.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that members of the terrorist gang, numbering about 15, invaded the village in K-Vom, at about 1.30 a.m. on Tuesday and positioned themselves at all entry points, while five of them forced themselves into the residence of one Iliya Yakubu and descended on the family.

It was gathered that in the attack, the head of the family, Iliya Yakubu (43); his wife, Lyop Iliya (38); their son, Nuhu Iliya and daughter, Peace Iliya, who was one-year-old were shot at close range, while three other members of the family escaped with gunshot wounds.

Members of the family who escaped, but are now receiving treatment at Christian Hospital, Vom, are Alice Iliya and two others. Alice told Nigerian Tribune that she heard one of the assailants calling her brother that night before the rest forced their way into the family premises, adding that they ransacked the entire house and killed the four in their respective rooms.

According to her, the three of them receiving treatment were shot while trying to escape into the nearby bush through the window, adding that they were trailed by the assailants but due to sheer providence, they could not catch up with them.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abuh Emmanuel, who confirmed the incident to Nigerian Tribune said the gang fled into the bush before the arrival of the security agents.

He stated that the state police command has commenced full investigation into the killings and has deployed both the anti-terrorist squad and anti-robbery squad to the locality, with the aim of getting to the root of the incident.

Meanwhile, there is  palpable tension in the area as most of the inhabitants  had fled the area for fear of further attack.  

In another development, two soldiers were on Monday night killed by unknown gunmen at a popular Suya joint on the Kano-Potiskum-Maiduguri road in Azare, about 220 kilometres from the Bauchi State capital, even as stray bullets hit a civilian and injured him in the process.

The Nigerian Tribune learnt on Tuesday that the soldiers were eating Indomie and suya at the suya joint when they were sighted by the gunmen, who arrived at the scene in a car, and opened fire on them, killing the two on the spot and went away with their rifles.

According to eyewitnesses’ account, as soon as the gunmen arrived in the area and saw the soldiers eating, they quickly took position and opened fire on them, adding that the remains of the slain soldiers were taken to the morgue of the Federal Medical Centre in Azare,  headquarters of Katagum Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

The incident, according to the witness, caused panic and confusion among the people at the scene of the incident as suya sellers, who normally operated on 24-hour basis, and other shop owners, hurriedly closed for the day.

Confirming the report to journalists in Bauchi, a top security source lamented the killing of the soldiers, saying that they were “brave soldiers” who died in the course of ensuring that peace reigned in the state.

“Yesterday night (Monday night) unknown gunmen shot two soldiers to death and took away their rifles at a suya joint in Azare. We have lost two brave soldiers. This is unfortunate,” he said, confirming that the bodies of the slain soldiers had been deposited at the FMC, Azare.

He, however, assured that security agencies in the state would do everything possible to fish out the culprits with a view to bringing them to book.

According to the source, a civilian at the scene of the incident near the AA Kankani Petrol Station in Azare was hit on his legs by stray bullets and had since been taken to FMC, Azare, where he was receiving treatment. 

Meanwhile, as the orientation exercise for the Batch C members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) kicked off nationwide on Tuesday, the Federal Government has ordered  tight security around the orientation camps across the country.

An informed security source told the Nigerian Tribune in Abuja on Tuesday that the action became necessary following the renewed hostilities of the  Boko Haram in recent times targeted at notable personalities, public institutions, places of worship, among others.

The source revealed that armed soldiers and men of the anti-terrorist squad of the Nigeria Police along with regular policemen and operatives of the Department of State Security Service (SSS) have been drafted in large numbers to the orientation camps nationwide.

The source further hinted that the security personnel were under strict instructions not to allow anybody without proper identification in and around any of the orientation camps.

According to the source, “I can confirm to you that additional security personnel comprising military men, the police, SSS, and members of the Civil Defence Corps are being drafted to all the NYSC orientation camps nationwide, to fortify the security arrangements on the ground, we are not taking any chances because of the renewed Boko Haram activities in the country especially in the North.”

Share

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.