banner ad

Boko Haram leaders arrested, 1 killed in Kano •As gunmen kill 9 in Bauchi …

| September 18, 2012 More

| Print | E-mail


Written by Kola Oyelere and Saliu Gbadamosi


Tuesday, 18 September 2012

THE Joint Security Task Force (JTF) in Kano, on Monday, said that its men arrested a prominent member and two persons suspected to be operational commanders of the Boko Haram insurgents in an early morning raid, in the Hotoro area in Kano,  just as the command killed one of the suspected members.

The spokesman for the JTF, Lieutenant Ikedichi Iwehia, who confirmed the arrest, disclosed that the  arrested suspects were believed to be commanders of the group.

He stated that they  had been taken into custody in one of the security facilities in the state.

According to him,  the  operation started at 6.00 a.m.  on Monday at a particular compound in Hotoro Quarters of the state capital.

He said  the security forces that raided the structure were resisted by the insurgents, a situation which led to gunfight.

Iwehia added that the suspects were linked to the several cases of insurgency recorded in the area, prominent among which was the killing of a security officer attached to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and his entire family members on Sunday in the state.

The pandemonium  created by gunshots forced the residents to stay indoors to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

It was said that the shattering sound of gunfire  raid and the huge presence of security officials in their area woke up residents on Monday.

 The JTF spokesman further stated that investigation into the attacks in the area was ongoing, even as he assured members of the public to go about their businesses.

In another development, four more people had died by Monday morning, following Sunday night’s attack at Zango area of Bauchi metropolis in which unknown gunmen stormed the area and opened fire on people, killing five people in the process, bringing the number of people killed to nine.

Bauchi State governor, Mallam Isa Yuguda, has condemned the attack in strong terms, describing it as an act of terrorism, which his administration and other governments in the country were fighting hard to eradicate.

The gunmen, who the Nigerian Tribune learnt were three in number, arrived at the area in a tricycle, popularly known as Keke NAPEP, and opened fire on the people sitting under a tree in the area playing cards.

Five people were killed on the spot, while two people among the seven injured at the scene, died at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH), Bauchi, later in the night. Two others died on Monday night at the hospital.

Zango, venue of the attack, is a few distance from the Federal Lowcost Housing Estate in the state capital and is one of the flashpoints in the town which had witnessed several ethno-religious and communal clashes.

The Nigerian Tribune recalls that only recently, during the last Ramadan fast, a retired police inspector, Mallam Abdullahi, was shot dead by some yet to be apprehended gunmen in front of his house after coming from a mosque in the area, where he had gone to observe his Magrib prayer.

According to some residents of the area who spoke with the Nigerian Tribune, people used to gather at the scene of the attack on a daily basis to socialise, while some play cards, draught and even gamble there.

One of them, Muhammed Ali, said: “The attackers targetted the people who used to assemble in the evening to play cards and gamble. They came inside a Keke NAPEP and started shooting sporadically, killing five people on the spot and injuring many people who were taken to the teaching hospital for treatment.”

The sporadic gunshots, it was gathered, made residents to shudder, as there was pandemonium in the area, with people running for dear life.

Security men, mostly men of the Nigerian Army, had since condoned off the area, preventing people from entering the area.

No group, had, however, claimed responsibility for the attack as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, Governor Yuguda has condemned the attack, saying that the attackers were terrorists and assured that government would do everything possible to track down the perpretrators of the barbaric act.

The governor, according to a press release from the Office of the Chief Press Secretary, Ishola Michael Adeyemi, made available to journalists in Bauchi on Monday, condoled with the families of all those who lost their loved ones in the barbaric act, praying God to give them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

Mallam Yuguda called on the bereaved to take solace in God, even as he wished all those injured in the attack quick recovery.

While assuring that government would do everything to track down the terrorists and bring them to book, the governor, according to the release, said “there is no way we will allow criminals and terrorists to continue to live among us. We must join hands to stop these heinous acts.”

He added that the terror acts were not directed at one direction because of religion, tribe and or political affiliation, but a general target at every citizen of the country, saying that “we must all come together to fight these evil men; they live among us and we must expose them at all cost, these wanton killings must stop now.”

The governor, therefore, appealed to those affected not to do anything that would aggravate the already tensed situation, which might lead to the breakdown of law and order.

He enjoined the people to allow security agents to do their work, with a view to tracking down the perpertrators.

“Let us allow the security operatives to do their work and eventually track down the criminals. We should please avoid anything that will lead to the loss of more lives and disrupt the peace that we are enjoying in the state,” Governor Yuguda stated.

Share

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.