banner ad

Bauchi women protest abduction •Group plans 1 million children’s

| May 27, 2014 More

WORRIED by the abduction of the over 200 students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, in Borno State by the Boko Haram sect about 43 days ago, a coalition of women groups in Bauchi State on Monday, took to the streets of Bauchi, the state capital, to agitate for the release of the schoolgirls.

The protesting women, made up of market women, professionals and members of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) began their protest  march from the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium, moved through major streets of the town to the Emir’s palace and ended it at the Government House.

The women carried different placards calling for the release of the abducted schoolgirls, including “ Pray for our leaders to restore peace to our country”; “Bring back our girls,” among others.

Speaking at the Government House, where they came to register their displeasure to the state governor, Mallam Isa Yuguda, the state Director of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Hajiya Jummai Liman Bello, while appreciating efforts made so far to secure the release the abducted schoolgirls, stated that more still needed to be done to not only secure their release, but also their safety.

Hajiya Bello declared that as mothers, they were in pains over the abduction of the girls by the insurgent group, saying it was time they were released unconditionally and safely too.

Also speaking, a representative of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Mrs Liatu Joseph, lamented that the innocent schoolgirls were being held against their wish, calling for all hands to be on deck in ensuring their safe release.

Mrs Joseph stated that on their part as women and mothers, they would continue to pray for the end of the current insurgency in the country, particularly in the North-East.

Group plans 1 million children’s gathering
THIS year’s Children’s Day could lead to the setting of another world record by Nigerians, as the South- West zone of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools and UTV Media is hoping to gather one million Nigerian children on Tuesday, to appeal for peace in the country.

According to details about the gathering, children from several schools in six states in the South-West would come together at designated points at a set time in the various states and appeal for peace in the country. The states expected to take part are Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo states.

Speaking in a media chat on Sunday, Woman of Peace Ambassador for the project, Miss Feyi Balogun, said the event would also be used to call attention to the plight of the abducted Chibok girls and appeal for their release. Each child who would take part in the gathering would be identified by a white ribbon, according to organisers.

She also revealed that children would be given opportunity to watch a film entitled ‘Boma’, which tells the story of Nigerian Civil War in the eyes of a child and thus, help in promoting peace in the country, especially as the impact of war could be devastating for children.

“The gathering is a world record attempt, but we want to do beyond that. We want to call attention to the fact that our society needs peace in order to develop our children and give them a better tomorrow,” she said.

 

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.