banner ad

Bauchi Govt. To Establish Power Plant, Says Commissioner

| July 6, 2012 More

Bauchi State Government has signed an agreement with China Machinery and Equipment Corporation, to establish a power plant in the state.

The Commissioner for Power and Energy, Mr Yakubu Kirfi, told newsmen on Thursday in Bauchi that the plant would gulp $100 million.

He said the company would provide 85 per cent of the funds while the state government would shoulder the remaining 15 per cent.

According to Kirfi, the company had already conducted soil test analysis at the project site at the cost of $326, 000, while another company, Thematic Associate Nigeria Limited, Abuja, had conducted an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).

He did not however disclosed the generating capacity of the plant.

The commissioner said a German company, Helios Energie, was also working in collaboration with the Federal Government to establish a Photo Voltaic Power Plant in Bauchi that would generate 20 to 30 megawatts of electricity.

Kirfi said that parties involved in the project had signed the protocol for the development, construction and management of the plant.

He said that the company would soon submit to the ministry, the feasibility study, details of business plan and EIA of the project.

Meanwhile, the commissioner said a valuation committee headed by Deputy Gov. Sagir Saleh, has put the total value of assets owned by Power Holdings Company of Nigeria (PHCN) in the state at N12 billion.

He said that the valuation of the company’s assets was directed by the Federal Government.

Kirfi explained that the exercise was in line with the decision of the federal government to privatise the company.

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.