banner ad

2015: North won’t support Jonathan’s ambition –Rep

| May 7, 2013 More

A member of the National Assembly, Hon. Bitrus Kaze, said the North would not support President Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election bid in 2015.

Kaze, who represents Jos East/Jos South Federal Constituency of Plateau State, alleged in a statement yesterday that the recently announced compensation for states affected by the 2011 post-election violence by the Federal Government was an attempt by Jonathan to appease the North towards his re-election in 2015. The lawmaker, however, warned that such move would fail.

He said: “We are tempted to believe that this gesture could be in furtherance of Mr. President’s attempt to appease the North, who it must be maintained, will never support his re-election ambition in the long run.

“If President Jonathan is truly desirous of placating the North, all he needs do is to abandon his re-election ambition or better still step aside and hand over power to a far northerner, nothing else will impress the core North more.”

Kaze listed the states affected by the violence as Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Niger, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara. He, however, said that while Katsina, Bauchi, Kano, Niger, Adamawa, Jigawa, Zamfara, Sokoto and Akwa Ibom states got various sums of money, Borno, Gombe, Yobe and Kaduna states got nothing.

The legislator recalled that the Sheik Ahmad Lemu Presidential Panel on the Post Elections Violence acknowledged the fact that General Muhammadu Buhari’s ‘provocative utterances’ were misconstrued by many voters to include recourse to violence.

He said: “But interestingly, Katsina, Gen. Buhari’s home state got about N2 billion, the highest; Bauchi State, where the pioneer leader of the dreaded Boko Haram sect, the late Mohammed Yusuf, planted and nurtured the seed of terrorism, got over N1.5 billion, the second highest.

“Akwa Ibom State, which hitherto was never heard of among states where the postelections’ violence occurred, also became beneficiary of the presidential largesse.”

Kaze also wondered what criteria would be used to ensure that the monies effectively reach the victims, because most of them are nonnatives of the states where the post-elections’ violence was perpetrated and had been forced to relocate. He added that they would all be at the mercy of the benefitting state governments.

The lawmaker also noted that media reports claimed that Jonathan had offered the Federal Government’s assistance to Borno State to rebuild Baga, a border town in the state in which about 200 people were reportedly killed in a gun duel between troops of the Multinational Task Force and Boko Haram insurgents.

He said: “Whereas both the Defence Headquarters and the office of the National Security Adviser made averments to the effect that it was the insurgents that triggered and perpetrated the violence in Baga; in the Plateau State for example, in Dogo Na Hawa alone over 500 innocent lives of mostly women and children were destroyed in cold blood overnight in March 2010 without any provocation whatsoever.

This is in addition to billions of naira worth of properties lost in the attack.

“Yet, since the formation of the Security Task Force in January 2009 to curb violence on the Plateau, the government of President Goodluck Jonathan has not offered a dime in aid to the state that has endured internecine violence for years.”

Category: Bauchi State News

Comments are closed.